Oblongulated thoughts...

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (yes, that's me screaming)

WELL. I'm back to my nice disorganised ways it seems. I got an e-mail from my "teachers" on Thursday telling me that I had three assessment tasks on Friday (yesterday). Now the way this Cert III works is that there is a website, you sign in. On the left there is a little column, which among other things has "Units" as a heading. There are 6 units and you click on one and it has all the topics within the unit (which have topics within the topics) and have the information etc. Above that it also has a little thing saying "unit assessment" and it has a little table which tells you when assessments are due. Now, me being me, I had gone to the first unit, and gone through (nearly all) of the topics within that unit, thinkin that is what I was meant to do. I knew that I had an assessment on Friday, and assumed this was the sort test where, on the day you click on the little link and do a test. No, it was an assignment. So I worked this out yesterday (the due date). Great.

To make matters even worse, I then found out that actually we were meant to be doing one topic for each unit per week. I had done just about all the topics in the first unit, and none in the others, so this was fun to find out the day stuff was due as well. So I ended up having to do the first topic in 2 other units, then write an assignment on one of them (vaccines) and do a test on the other two (Personal Protective Equipment and organising for contractors in the industry).. GAR... So that was a very nice realisation!!!

I am quite proud though, I finished all of it, and now I'm just going to have to keep up with ALL of my units (geez there is a lot of them)... as well as everything else I'm doing at the moment... O well, I'm just very relieved that it's over and I can safely say that I know know a lot about vaccines which I didn't know before.

In fact, I am so proud that I'm going to post my report thing on vaccines on here. It sounds very technical (i think) considering that I didn't think I really knew that much about vaccines:

1. Which diseases will you need to vaccinate against?
I would vaccinate my horses against tetanus, strangles, EHV1&4 and salmonella. I would also recommend that all visiting mares be up to date with their vaccinations.

I would also vaccinate all horses for strangles, and again recommend that all visiting mares be vaccinated.I would vaccinate all my mares for equine herpes virus 1 and 4, and recommend that all visiting mares be vaccinated. I would also try to isolate visiting mares as much as possible from my mares, just as a precaution.

I would vaccinate all my mares and foals for salmonella and recommend that all visiting mares be vaccinated. If the visiting mares are staying on my property after they have foaled I would also insist on vaccinating the foals.

2. Which horses get which types of vaccine?
All horses would be vaccinated for tetanus, strangles, EHV 1-4 and Salmonella as soon as they were old enough. The owners of visiting mares would be recommended to vaccinate their horses prior to transportation.

3. What are these vaccines called and which companies make them?
‘Equivac’ make a combined strangles and tetanus vaccine called ‘Equivac 2in1‘.
For Salmonella, ‘Vetivax’ makes a vaccine, called ‘Vetivax Equine Salmonella Vaccine®’.
For EHV 1-4, the company ‘Merial’ make a vaccine called ‘Pneumequine’.

4. What are the storage requirements of these vaccines?
The ‘Equivac 2in1’ vaccine should be stored between 2 and 8 degrees Celsius and should be protected from light - According to
http://www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au/prod436.htm
The ‘Pneumequine’ vaccine also has a recommended storage temperature of between 2 and 8 degrees Celcius.

5. Outline the vaccination programs for mares, stallions, foals and young horses
Horses may be immunized for tetanus and strangles from 12 weeks of age. It is recommended that the first time horses are vaccinated, they receive three doses, 2 weeks apart. According to
http://www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au/prod436.htm, “It is recommended that the first dose given is ‘Equivac 2 in 1‘, the second dose is ‘Equivac 2 in 1’ or ‘Equivac S‘, and the third dose given is ‘Equivac 2 in 1‘”.

When using ‘Vetivax Equine Salmonella Vaccine®’,
www.equinehospital.co.nz recommends that “mares are initially given 2 doses, 4 weeks apart, followed by annual boosters given one month before foaling to provide good colostral immunity to their foals. Foals born to vaccinated mares can be given 2 vaccinations, four weeks apart, beginning at 4 months of age, a booster vaccination is given as a yearling. Foals born to unvaccinated mares can be vaccinated from 2
weeks of age, followed by boosters 6 months later than as a yearling.”

According to ‘
www.equinehospital.co.nz‘, when using ‘Pneumequine‘; “stallions should be vaccinated 1 month before breeding. Mares may receive 2 doses 4 weeks apart before service and then a booster in the 4-5th month of pregnancy or 1 dose each at either 3, 4 & 6 months or 4,5 & 7 months of gestation.”

6. What records need to be kept for your vaccination program?
You would need to keep a record of when each horse was vaccinated last, and when they are due to be vaccinated again. I would also keep a record of which brand of vaccine was used, and whether it was their primary vaccination or a booster. A record of any cases of the disease in those horses would also be useful.


Hehe good eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home