Oblongulated thoughts...

Friday, February 10, 2006

In for the long haul...

Personally I think that's a pretty crappy saying, but at the moment I'm using it as a warning to my reader/s that this post will probably end up being incredibly long. For one thing; I have a few things I want to write, and for the first time this week I also have a lot of time to write it. Good luck.

The most recent thing I wanted to say was that I finally found that haiku book!!! It's soo good! Heheheheheehehe I think I'm going to take it in and show the english staff at school when I finally return their copy of 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Basically, the book is called 'One Hundred Great Books In Haiku' and is by David Bader. I discovered it in Borders when I was shopping with Leah. I think I'll post a few that people will find funny/relevant:

De Revolutionibus Orbium Caelestium - Nicolaus Copernicus
Guessus whatibus?
Earthus orbits the Sunnum!
Ptolemy doofus.

Pride And Prejudice- Jane Austen (like you didn't know)
Single white lass seeks
landed gent for marriage, whist.
No parsons, thank you.

(for Steph) Bleak House- Charles Dickens
Fog, gloom, men in wigs -
the Chancery Court blights all.
See where law school leads?

Robinson Crusoe- Daniel Defoe (haven't actually read this yet, but think it's hilarious)
Alone for twelve years,
then a footprint in the sand.
Thank God! A servant!

The Histories- Herodotus (funny for anyone who did the Persian Wars in ancient, i.e. Wilson)
Go tell the Spartans -
the Persian hordes are fierce and
wear funny slippers.

Little Women- Louisa May Alcott
Snowdrops hang like tears.
Shy, sweet, saintly Beth has died.
One down, three to go.

Waiting For Godot- Samuel Beckett
Act I. 'It's hopeless.
My boots don't fit. Where is God?'
Act II. The same thing

Metaphysics- Aristotle
Substance has essence.
Form adds whatness to thatness.
Whatsits have thinghood.

Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte (although I've never read it myself.. thank god)
Wild. Strange. A bit damp.
Heathcliff waits for Cathy's ghost.
Women. Always late.

good old Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
A mad scientist
creates a ghastly monster
who just wants a hug.

*shudder* Jane Eyre- The Devil
O woe! his mad wife -
in the attic! Had they but
lived together first.

The Importance of Being Earnest- Oscar Wilde
Earnestly posing
as Ernest, Jack learns he's named
Ermest in earnest.

Paradise Lost- John Milton
O'er and o'er God warned,
'Eate not th'Apple!' Man dids't and
God ballistick went.

(heheehe i think that's my favourite)

Yeah, that's just a few. It was only published last year (I found it in the New Releases at Borders so obviously quite late last year)...

So, Wilson left for uni today (or at least I'm guessing she did!). Good luck to her! Lol that sounds like she's going to die there or something. Sorry Willy! I don't think you're going to die! Unless it's from the boredom which comes from living in a hole... Sorry.. I'll try to stop being mean to Canberra...No I won't, I'll just try to keep it to myself more.. No, that's a lie too.. Arg I give up.



OK so, yes, the last two days I spent doing my Senior First Aid Course, and I passed, so within two weeks I will have my Senior First Aid Certificate (hehe I love having to capitalise things, it makes them seem so much more important than they would otherwise). Today we did things like slings, fractures, embedded objects, amputations, bleeding, guts falling out, eyes popping out, burns etc. Personally I will be glad if I never have to use my new skills (although it would make the $110 to do the course seem REALLY pointless).

There were some really interesting people doing the course. One 'older' lady is a swim instructor who has a very accident-prone son. One guy is a surf-lifesaver, and reckons it's the best job because he gets paid $20 an hour to stand around with his hand on his hip and tell little kids to stop running near the beach pool. There was also a lebanese guy who is a forklift driver and did it because it would mean he would get paid $5/hour more. He was hilarious, he said the most stupid things. At lunch the older woman was talking about going to the gym and he was saying that there's no point unless you take some steroids first, and that he did that and now he's heaps more muscly. He then went on to tell us that it's a myth that your genitals shrink (just what we all wanted to know). Despite him, they were a really nice group of people. Well, he was nice too, just a bit strange, and not too bright.

Still no update on the OTEN course (or any votes, VOTE DAMNIT!!!) although their website is now working, which is nice.

OK so tomorrow I have a lesson with Pip at 11, then people are coming over at 7. Sunday I'm taking both horses to jump club at Macarthur (near Camden). Monday I think I'm doing something but I can't remember what exactly. Tuesday I was going to ask Leah if she wanted to go up to Tuggerah, cause I want to go back to the Borders there. Wednesday and Thursday I'm going to watch/help at SIEC.. Friday I'll get the horses ready for SIEC, saturday and sunday I'm competing. Maybe start working for Gendy in that next week. Hahaha, busy, no? Also that next Tuesday I have my next day doing my instructors course.

I should really ring Gendy. I'm just lazy basically. It also tends to take a lot of effort to contact her because it's very rare that she actually answers the phone or SMSs. I'll try tomorrow night. Remind me. No, wait, I won't. I'll try tomorrow afternoon, before the people come over. That sounds better.

Hahaha this is basically just me talking to myself. I've discovered that I do that a lot when I get nervous while I'm driving, e.g. yesterday.

OK here's a question: Do you think it is a form of emotional child-abuse to breast feed a child beyond the time when they need it, for instance, when they are able to eat solid food?

It came up on the radio yesterday morning. Clearly it is not the choice of the child, at the age when babies are usually weaned they are too young to know what they want or decide things (or really even care). Therefore it must be the choice of the parent, and as it really has little to do with the father (except public embarrassment) it is the choice of the mother. One caller defended this, saying that they do the same in Africa. I don't believe you can compare these situations; in Africa children are breast-fed until they are five, probably because that is the most nourishing food they can be given. In our country, however, I don't believe that mere nourishment is a problem (perhaps there are a few exceptions to this, but for the majority I believe this is true).

To my way of thinking this is simply a case of a 'needy' parent, who uses their child's dependance on them for food as a means of feeling loved and needed by their child. The child has little choice in the matter, and while the parent may say that the child enjoys this, or believes it is right, I don't believe the child is old enough to have decided what is "good" or "right" yet, and simply base these "opinions" (if they can be called that) upon those of their parents. I would like to know what happens to this child at school, or even pre-school. Certainly this is not the way the majority of children are brought up in Australia, and the child's peers would certainly find it strange. Whether the child's peers make a big deal out of it and choose to bully them depends on the peers. I would be more worried about the child's future emotional dependance on their mother. Being weaned off breast-feeding is part of gaining their own identity, and sense of independance, even at that young age, and so, in effect the mother is removing that child's earliest form of independance. I feel that this is a case of emotional abuse. It is not deliberate in that it is meant to be abusive, however it must certainly be detrimental to that child as they grow up, and it is certainly a choice made by the parent, rather than a mistake or a forced decision.

To state both sides of the argument, one caller did ring and say that it made their daughter (who was breast-fed until she was six) more "confident in herself" and gave her a greater belief in the unconditional love of her parents. He also suggested that perhaps this is a Western taboo, which is simply a 'social norm' rather than a proven theory.

He and the person talking about the children in Africa were the only two who rang to defend this. All other callers were of the opinion that it is wrong and immoral to the child.

Please feel free to comment.


OK I'm off to bed! In case you are interested, I brought this up after reading a heap of other blogs which all seem to be more substantial than mine. I'm also tired of writing what I've done recently, what I'm doing at the time, what I am about to do. It gets rather monotonous. OK tata!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home